Sunday 8 August 2010

The Benefits of Resistance Training

 Well today I had a fantastic session with a personal trainer at my gym, with my specific request being help with resitance training.  Unfortunately, as I have learned, all the cardio in the world does not give you a lean, toned, peak performing body.  Just to clarify, resistance training will not make you look like the moustached, hairy female gymnasts of the old East Germany (but if you happen to like that look than go for it...) or give you the massive thighs of cyclists.   Resitance training also does not mean a resistance to any kind of physical training, something I do occasionally (or often) suffer from.   Here is one definition of resistance training....

Resistance training is a form of strength training in which each effort is performed against a specific opposing force generated by resistance (i.e. resistance to being pushed, squeezed, stretched or bent). Exercises are isotonic if a body part is moving against the force. Exercises are isometric if a body part is holding still against the force. Resistance exercise is used to develop the strength and size of skeletal muscles. Properly performed, resistance training can provide significant functional benefits and improvement in overall health and well-being.
The goal of resistance training, according to the American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI), is to "gradually and progressively overload the musculoskeletal system so it gets stronger." Research shows that regular resistance training will strengthen and tone muscles and increase bone mass. Resistance training should not be confused with weightlifting, powerlifting or bodybuilding, which are competitive sports involving different types of strength training with non-elastic forces such as gravity (weight training or plyometrics) rather an immovable resistance (isometrics, usually the body's own muscles or a structural feature such as a doorframe). Full range of motion is important in resistance training because muscle overload occurs only at the specific joint angles where the muscle is worked.

A bit wordy, but you get the point... the benefits of resistance training are huge.  Strength, increased bone density, fat reduction/muscle increase, pain reduction, and on and on.  Personally I am interested in it for strength, improving my core strength and stability, increased flexibility and to aid in the healing of an ongoing shoulder injury.  Obviously secretly my number one goal is the reduction in size of my ass and thighs, but I dare not speak that dream aloud in case it never comes true ;-)

So I now have an easy to follow, 20 min/3 x per week program that I am really happy with.  I will keep you all posted on my progress assuming I do not pass away suddenly from previously unused muscles seizing up or from the rare disease CWD (Cadbury's Withdrawal Disorder). 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is your trainer British?? If you're ever looking for a good laugh at the gym, ask them to say the word 'skeletal' for you. It will sound like 'skah-leeee-tahl' : )

Anonymous said...

See ... I knew CWD was REALLY serious, that is why I can't risk it ...