Sunday 15 August 2010

The Season of Goodbyes...Ode to Roxy

Last night, walking back to the tube in Covent Garden after saying goodbye to (yet another) expat friend, I was reminded of this song by the Byrds, I'm sure you all know it...

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late

For me this seems to be the season of goodbyes.  "Roxy" as she will be known for the purpose of this post, is the latest in a list of many friends packing up their tea bags and wellies and heading for new or more familiar, as in her case, shores.  I will miss all of them, but Roxy in particular as I associate her with good times, fun, and laughter.  So much laughter.  She is just one of those people who lights up a room and makes you instantly want to be her friend.  And as only small town Canadians do, she has the most outrageously funny stories.  We met via facebook several years ago on the Canadians in the UK group.  I believe the message I sent her read something like "We're both Canadian, you live near me, and from your photo you appear to be good looking enough to meet my friend criteria so we should meet up."  Fast forward a few years, a girls' trip to Paris which almost resulted in a lifelong Eurostar ban and a near death experience in an Audi in Belfast caused by three screaming Canadian girls spotting a Tim Horton's, and we are still friends.  And always will be.  She knows way too much!  So...my dearest Roxy...I wish you and your beloved all of the success and happiness in the world running your new business.  You both deserve it and will definitely make it into something incredible.  I will miss you, and so will the sales figures of the alcohol departments in all the major retailers of England. 

As for me, I'm accepting applications from potential new friends.  Please send photo along with your completed twelve page application and essay.


No comments: