Saturday 14 August 2010

today's healthy recipe - eggplant pizzas

Ah I know all of you who read my last post are breathing a sigh of relief at today's healthy recipe.  Phew, it's not moonshine with a side of heroin, so the little Princess MUST have slept.  Well she didn't, but I avoided the temptation of brewing my own 40% alcohol in the backyard overnight and we started sleep training last night...more to follow on that in the coming days.

Now, I don't have a formal recipe for this as it's my own invention but they're wonderful and versatile as you can change the toppings to suit your own tastes.  For two adults we use two eggplants (uhm aubergines...) you can use as few or as many as you like depending on how many you're feeding, but these don't keep brilliantly as leftovers, I must say.

2 eggplants, cut lengthways in slices approx 1/2 inch thick
pizza sauce of your choice
grated mozzarella cheese
assorted chopped veggies such as red and green pepper, mushrooms, green or black olives, sweetcorn (that's right Canadians, I said UGH in disgust as well, but Brits put canned corn on their pizzas...or mixed with tuna in their sandwiches...it's actually quite nice, I have to say!)

Brush both sides of eggplant slices with a bit of olive oil and bake approx 20-25 min (around 180-200C) until they soften up a bit.  Remove and top with pizza sauce, cheese, and your choice of toppings and return to oven for approx another 25 minutes until toppings are a bit bubbly and look like melted pizza toppings usually do.  Serve with salad and wine and yummmmmmm! One delicious, vegetarian, low carb dinner!

No comments: