Tuesday 3 August 2010

Every Little (bit of exercise) Helps

I've had a revelation that I do not have to start off at marathon level running.  I can take small, daily actions that over time will add up and help me to achieve my health and fitness goals.  With a husband who works very long hours and travels a lot, there will be days when I simply can't get to the gym or out for a run and will have to take small steps and get creative.  Things such as long walks with The Little Princess and stopping to do a few squats or lunges while she admires the ducks in the pond, keeping a skipping rope on our patio, and who can resist a few good old fashioned aerobics DVDs full of big hair, sparkly legwarmers, and shocking pink leotards a la 70s?

This morning I had booked a creche space at my gym, so once I had pried a diamond earring and a blue ball point pen out of The Little Princess's hand (mental note to look for the other earring...hmmm) and pretended I didn't notice the blue streaks all over her face, I dropped her grumpy (lack of sleep) self off and prayed she would last more than 10 minutes without full blown shrieking demanding mommy's return.  Then I stopped worrying and realized that even 10 minutes exercise is better than nothing!  Unfortunately I chose a treadmill with a broken TV that wouldn't change channels and rather than change treadmills, was forced to endure 20 minutes of P. Diddy's Starmaker (how he ever became famous is a rant I'll save for another post on another day) and vowed to remember my iPod next time.

Success - 35 minutes of cardio (a mix of walk/run and elliptical trainer) followed by some stretching and abs and creche booked for tomorrow morning as well.

Anyone else have any tips on how they fit a bit of exercise into a busy life?

No comments: