Saturday 7 August 2010

Today's healthy recipe - roasted aubergine & goat's cheese pasta

Well, not only did I survive last night's run and am still able to move today (kind of), but lovely hubby and the Little Princess have gone out for THE WHOLE DAY to visit some family friends.  I've not been alone in the house since she was born ten months ago and am not quite sure what to do with myself.  Sleep? Clean? Go for botox? Get really drunk? All of the above?

Anyway, here is a great quick and easy veggie recipe that is one of our favourites...hope you like it! And ahem, aubergine is eggplant for you North Americans...why do I always feel I need to translate for those of you back home in my motherland?

1 medium eggplant/aubergine cut into wedges
1 red onion
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
8 leaves fresh shredded basil (and optional - a few more for garnishing)
150g penne (I use wholewheat penne to make it healthier)
100g soft goats cheese
2 tbsp pine nuts

Preheat oven to 220C/gas mark 7 and roast the aubergine and onion in a small roasting tin with the garlic, oil and shredded basil leaves, season and roast for 20-25 minutes.  Stir once or twice until tender and charred.
Meanwhile cook the pasta until tender, drain and toss with the cooked vegetables, goats cheese and pine nuts.  Garnish with basil leaves, goes great with salad.  Bon appetit!

No comments: