Wednesday 18 August 2010

Only in America....

Now, I know it's wrong that my first thought upon being sent the link to this article from a friend was "WHY didn't I know about krispy kreme cheeseburgers when I was pregnant?!? That would have been even yummier than mango macaroni with extra cheese" but hey, you can't help what you think sometimes.  I'm still a bit speechless at this article, and while in jest I have titled this post "Only in America", it's unfortunately becoming more and more common everywhere to see shocking food options in such big portions that our view of normal portion sizes is becoming increasinly distorted.   Just recently I have seen one fast food restaurant chain advertising huge "snack" chicken wraps dripping in cheese and all kinds of things.  When did a snack stop being a piece of fruit and a glass of milk?  Is this how warped our views of acceptable food choices and sizes have become?

A couple of years ago a nutritionist friend told me that a  portion size of a food (ie of pasta, rice, meat, vegetables) at meals should only ever be the size of your clenched fist.  (Note: luckily yesterday when I had pizza I was able to double fold, pound and squash the slices so they fit into my fist.  Phew.  Major post pizza guilt avoided there).

On a serious note though, lately I've become more and more interested in childhood obesity (and obesity in general), and I'm not sure if this is prompted by having my own baby or by my return to university and psychology.  Some of my (many) hopes for the Little Princess are that she will grow up healthy, unridiculed by her peers, that she will enjoy the kind of happy, easy, outdoorsy,  long summer days spent bike riding kind of childhood that I had, and that we can keep her protected from some of the influences of the "outside world" for as long as possible.  And that when she is at an age that she is exposed to things like krispy kreme cheeseburgers at public events, that we will have hopefully equipped her with enough common sense, knowledge, and love for herself, that she will make a better choice. 

P.S. I am still toying with the idea of organizing a group of mums in London/Surrey to run a 5k for an obesity charity (something along the theme of "Fit Mums for Fit Kids") so if that's something you'd be interested in, please drop me a line. 

http://www.thestar.com/living/food/article/848767--a-krispy-kreme-cheeseburger-only-at-the-state-fair

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was actually surprised to see that the calorie count for the cheeseburger was only 1000 calories. That's not too bad considering what it is...

You really should have mentioned the chocolate-covered bacon side in your blog, though, that really had my mouth watering : )